Pages

Labels

Monday 17 February 2014

Edenstar

I've been thinking a lot about whether or how to write about Edenstar. The highs were so high, and the lows so low. It's been difficult to think about,and I have mentally put it away in a box and shut the lid tightly. Since it has been such an important and almost all consuming passion, and taken up 10 years of my life, I decided it would be good, even cathartic. I warn you, it's a long story with lots of pictures. I may be a basket case (again) by the time it's finished.
I started my kid's fashion brand, Edenstar, in 2003 when my girls were just 2 years old. After working in the commercial fashion industry as a designer since 1987, I became driven to put my ideas into my own boutique brand for my own kids after doing it for others for so long. It also gave me the flexibility to work around my family's needs, or so I thought. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

The first collection - Summer 2003 - We sell to 8 local stores
I survived on adrenalin in the early years, working from home and around the girls. Mr. B was on board and designed graphics, did the photography, the accounts and all the back end admin as well as working full time in a real job. Friends caught onto the excitement and gathered over tea and cake to help hand embroider skirts, sew buttons on shirts and pin tags onto garments. The girls were the cutest models, and the brand was fresh and new. Boutiques lapped it up. Our wholesale business grew quickly. It was hard work but so much fun.

Winter 2004 - Our first order for New Zealand; Summer 2004 - We take on a NSW sales agent
Reality set in when I started showing at trade fairs and wholesaling interstate. Together with two other local brands, Purebaby and Mill & Mia I travelled around Australia putting together mini trade shows from hotel rooms and having the best of times. We had such a laugh and supported one another through the chaos.

Winter 2005; Summer 2005
A few years on and things escalated when I became friendly with sisters running another local brand, Moppit, and we travelled to New York together to meet sales agents and show at trade fairs. This period was equal parts excitement and terror. Showing at an international trade fair was absolutely exhilarating, and Edenstar won the award for Best Newcomer. It was great to have the Moppit girls to share with. We are good friends still.

Winter 2006; Summer 2006 - The collection that won us the Best Newcomer award at New York's ENK Children's Club Trade show
The business had outgrown our tiny home. There were rolls of fabric in every room, and you couldn't see the lounge room floor for boxes when we were packing orders. I almost despatched our old cat to New Zealand once when he fell asleep in a box full of stock.

Winter 2007; Winter 2008
So we took on a small warehouse. It was too ambitious financially, and somewhat cold and unfriendly. We had no choice. Stress was at an all time high, and I felt as if on a hamster wheel, running at top speed, getting nowhere, and unable to get off. We were exporting internationally by now. We had sales agents on the East and West Coast's of the US, the UK, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and locally Sydney and Brisbane, a distributor in Spain, and were the in-house brand at the gift shop of the Palm Jumeira Resort in Dubai (the one where Kylie sang at the opening!). I was travelling to trade fairs both here and in New York. I was exhausted, terrified, and guilt-ridden, but driven on by the promise of elusive financial success.

Winter 2008 - We get an order from the fashionable Scoop chain in New York; Summer 2008 - We get an order from the prestigious Selfridges in London
The high point was when Edenstar was included in a book - Kid's Fashion Designers - published by Daab, an international distributor of design books. We were the only Australian brand included. It was good for the ego, but meant nothing in real terms. I just couldn't give it up. Like a class A drug, so addictive and harmful. It looks pretty in the pictures, but it was ugly behind the scenes. Edenstar had become a monster.

Winter 2009; Summer 2009 - The Global Financial Crisis takes hold and our Northern Hemisphere orders are cancelled
At this point the Global Financial Crisis hit. Perfect timing. Stock for our international orders was in the warehouse ready to ship. Most were cancelled as global panic ensued. We were left with A LOT of cancelled stock we had to pay for. It was a disaster.

Winter 2010; Summer 2010 - The local retail market is still afloat and we scale down production.
Mr. B put his foot down. As a director of the company he ordered a halving in expenditure, or he would close it down. He was right. I can see that clearly now. We moved to cheaper warehousing and I halved my assistant's hours. I felt crushed and my designs suffered. I was pretty much on my own, trying to keep my head above the water, and diversified into women's wear hoping that retail market might be better. The first signs were encouraging, and I really enjoyed the change, but that sunk too in the coming year.

Winter 2011; Summer 2011 - Australia finally feels the effects of the global economic downturn and we call it a day for children's wear.

We came to a cross roads when retailers stopped paying their bills and our warehouse lease ended. I felt trapped, but couldn't see a future without Edenstar. It defined me.
Then fate stepped in and my Mum became gravely ill in the UK. It was sudden, and instantly things became clear. Edenstar was put on hold and there it stays. Mr.B was very kind. There could have been finger pointing and 'I told you so's', and it would have been deserved, but Mr. B came through for me when I was at my lowest. For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health . . . . 
Things slowly returned to a new and better kind of normal. I'm happier than I've been for a decade. I hope never to put Mr. B and the girls through that again, or myself for that matter. I'd like to say I've been the victim of the world recession, but that's not entirely true. Ambition played it's part. I did it to myself, and it wasn't pretty.
The highest of highs and the lowest of lows. I feel like a recovering drug addict. There, it's on the page and I feel all the better for it. Now you know.

Summer 2011; Winter 2012 - Edenstar women's wear only lasted a couple of seasons, but I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment