Pages

Labels

Friday 21 February 2014

Gluten Free Banana Bread

I don't know about you, but I seem to be throwing away over-ripe bananas all the time during the warm weather - even the chickens are sick of them. This super easy gluten free banana bread is my solution and the absolute favourite in our house at the moment. I baked a loaf a few days ago, and it was all eaten up before I could photograph it. It is so easy and really delicious. I wanted to save some for the girls' lunchboxes - not a chance. Today I had another go whilst everyone was out. Mission accomplished.
It's definitely my kind of recipe - mix all the ingredients together, put in a pan, bake, eat. Simple.
I'm pretty sure it would work just fine if you used regular flour instead of gluten free, but I haven't tried, so I don't really know.
I found the recipe online and unfortunately the link doesn't work anymore, so you'll have to make do with my version. I have made some amendments after trying it out a few times.












1 cup gluten free self raising flour
1/4 cup almond meal - if nuts are an issue just use the extra 1/4 cup of flour
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
3/4 cup sugar - I used soft brown sugar. I reckon muscovado sugar would taste fantastic.
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
2 ripe bananas - mushed up with a fork
1 heaped tsp cinnamon
The original recipe suggests changing things up by adding 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries. That would be nice. I'm going to give chopped dates and nuts a try sometime. I think the girls would appreciate chocolate chips too.


Place the mushed bananas, eggs, oil and sugar into a mixer, blender or food processor, or do it by hand. Mix until smooth.
Add all the dry ingredients - flour, almond meal, baking soda, cinnamon, and mix until smooth.
Pour into a loaf pan lined with baking parchment and bake in the centre of the oven at 175 degrees C, for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The original recipe says bake for 60 minutes, but mine would have been over done and burnt to a crisp by then. Maybe it's because my oven is fan-forced.




Leave in the pan until cool enough to handle. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
I sliced it while it was still slightly warm, and spread with butter. Scrumptious with a nice cup of tea or glass of milk.
It's great lightly toasted too, but take care as it's quite delicate - use the grill rather than the toaster.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment