Pages

Labels

Thursday 9 January 2014

#365gratefuls - The First Week of 2014

Well the first week of 2014 was lovely. If you've been following my #365gratefuls project you'll know that I've had lots of things to make me happy.
On the 1st day of the year I cycled back from the New Year's Eve fireworks with Mr.B and the girls, through the dark streets, feeling euphoric.
On the 2nd, Saffron, our little Pekin bantam, finally gave up being broody and laid a tiny, pearly, perfect egg. Thank the Lord! She hasn't laid for 6 months.
On the 3rd the first tomatoes ripened. That's my cue for summer. Come on summer, you can start now.
On the 4th we had friends over for a BBQ. They were our next door neighbours for 10 years before moving overseas and selling their house to us. It was great to catch up and play a cheeky trick on them. They planted the ornamental grape vine that rules the garden. We fixed luscious bunches of grapes to it with wire and they fell for it hook line and sinker. That made me snort like a donkey!
On the 5th the weather couldn't make up it's mind. That's Melbourne - if you don't like it, just wait a minute. The rain was steady for hours, then suddenly the sun came out and all was radiant - for about 10 minutes!
On the 6th we had enough home grown tomatoes for the longed for Caprese salad. I've been dreaming about the silky texture of boconcini for weeks. We had our own basil and olives too. Now I just need to get my own cow for the complete home grown experience.
On the 7th we took a stroll down the St. Kilda foreshore. We rarely visit this popular beach side suburb due to never being able to find a parking spot. Incredulous? I'm afraid it's true. So it was a rare treat to have tea and cake in a café with a friend and then a promenade on the promenade.
On the 8th, we took a bike ride along the beach bike path from Brighton almost to Half Moon Bay. Blue skies and perfect weather. We stopped along the way for a fish and chip lunch and a paddle in crystal clear waters. 4 black swans flew over us in an arrow formation - magical - but I was too slow with my camera. You'll just have to imagine it.
So that's the first week in review. I'm loving my 365 gratefuls project. It really does make you see the fantastic in the every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment