Pages

Labels

Monday 20 January 2014

Roast Tomato Pasta

Everyone has a few quick and easy favourite meals in their repertoire. My go-to meal is roast tomato pasta, especially in summer when I have plenty of tomatoes in the garden. It's so easy, pretty quick, and a complete no-brainer. We eat this on a weekly basis and it's always the meal I choose if I need to feed a crowd. I cooked it for my extended family in the UK when we were there last year - they absolutely loved it. Funny, one of my sisters asked me for the recipe when I'm sure I got it from her in the first place. Anyway, it's a crowd pleaser, and cheap and easy, which is always a plus.
Here's how I do it. You can make it your own.

About 500g ripe tomatoes - I use cherry tomatoes when I have to get them from the shops - halved width ways, otherwise, whatever oddly shaped ones you have in the garden, chopped to about that size, will do fine.
2 red capsicums de-seeded and cut into about 5 x 2cm pieces - no need to be very precise.
2 red onions peeled and cut into eighths lengthwise.
A few garlic cloves, unpeeled -  more or less depending on how much you like garlic.
1 cup pitted kalamata olives - cut in half if you can be bothered.
100g Greek Feta - I use Dodoni brand.
Fresh basil leaves torn - if you have it on hand.
Olive oil.
Sea salt flakes.
Pasta - I use penne - enough for 4 people

Pre-heat oven to 220 degrees fan forced.
Pour enough olive oil into a large roasting pan to pretty much coat the bottom.
Do all your cutting and prepping and then throw tomatoes, capsicum, onions and garlic into the pan and turn to coat with the olive oil until glistening. Season with salt.
Put a pan of water on to boil, for the pasta. When boiling turn down to a simmer so it's ready when you need it.
Roast vegetables in the oven, on a middle to high shelf position, for about 15 minutes.
Check that the vegetables aren't burning, turn them about in the juices with a spatula.
The tomatoes should have collapsed and will become the sauce.
Return to the oven for another 10 minutes or so, or until the juices have reduced a bit and become more saucy and sticky.
Meanwhile, put the pasta on to boil, for whatever time the packet says - usually 8 - 10 minutes.
Once the roast tomato mixture is ready add the olives to the pan, with the crumbled feta and mix to combine and for the feta to melt a bit into the sauce.
Drain the pasta well and add to the pan. Mix everything together to coat the pasta. If it's a bit dry I add a bit of extra virgin olive oil, or a splash of the pasta water and mix through.
Serve with torn basil leaves on top. Yummy!
Sometimes I add a few bacon rashers to the pan at the 15 minute mark, which gives it 10 minutes in the oven and then I break it up into the mixture when it's done.
Sometimes I add a few sprigs of thyme during roasting, and then take out the stalky bits at the end - also yummy.



No comments:

Post a Comment