Pages

Labels

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Gluten Free Muffins

The girls and I were invited over to a new friend's house for morning last week, so as Miss E has coeliac disease, I got up early and baked a batch of gluten free raspberry and white chocolate muffins to take with us. I've been baking gluten free goodies for over 10 years now, since Miss E was diagnosed when she was 2 and a half. I bake often and freeze for school lunches, and since there's no way I'm baking separate batches, I've worked out recipes that are yummy, and appreciated by everyone. Having said that, this particular morning's muffins were a disaster of biblical proportions. They sank in the middle and were crispy little shells full of gooey uncooked glugginess. Our host was gracious and lied through gritted teeth to assure me they were delicious, but they were horrible. No idea why, as this recipe always (usually) works. I must have still been half asleep.
The girls are back to school today, so after having performed several star jumps of joy, I've had another go and baked this rather more delicious batch of orange and cranberry muffins to share with you, and to pop in their lunch boxes this week. The original recipe was from The Australian Coeliac Society magazine, now with my own refinements.

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
2 small thin skinned oranges
1 handful of dried cranberries
3 tblsp natural yogurt - I use Greek yogurt.
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup gluten free self raising flour
1 cup almond meal - I used a raw health food type one for a change. Worked well.


Pre-heat oven to 200 C.
Place muffin liners in a 12 hole muffin pan. I made super stylish rustic ones for this post. Just cut baking parchment into squares, press into hole with a juice glass and press the creases in. I don't usually do this, I just use ordinary ones.
Wash oranges and chop up roughly, skin and all. Whizz in a food processor until a chunky salsa type consistency.
Beat sugar, oil and eggs thoroughly with an electric mixer.
Add orange mixture and cranberries to egg mixture.
Add gluten free flour and almond meal and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
Dissolve baking soda in the yogurt and fold gently into the other ingredients.
Spoon into muffin cases and bake on the middle shelf for about 12 - 15 minutes, or when springy to touch.
Put the kettle on and make yourself a nice cup of tea and enjoy one while it's still warm from the oven.





No comments:

Post a Comment