Pages

Labels

Saturday 21 December 2013

The last day of the first year of high school

Yesterday was the last day of the first year of high school for misses S and E. It's a milestone that's gone pretty much unnoticed by them, but not by me. It's not a huge milestone, not like last year's transition from primary to high school, and yet I feel strangely melancholy.
There have been so many new things this year. New school, new teachers, new subjects. New independence, new friends and new crazes.
The craze that swept their school this year, and drove me and Mr.B bonkers, is the cup song. What? Never heard of such a thing? I suspect it swept every high school in Australia, and may have been trending internationally - or whatever.
Last week I was in the audience at the student organised, created and produced End of Year Chorals competition. Each of the 4 houses performed a series of choreographed musical numbers based on a theme of their choosing. The compulsory whole house number in each performance was 'The Cup Song'.
It seems to have been the background music for this special stage in the girls' lives, and sums up what 13 year old girls are all about. The tune seems a little melancholy to me.
I present Miss S and Miss E performing 'The Cup Song' for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!


Cup Song, 'When I'm Gone' by Anna Kendrick from the movie 'Pitch Perfect'

1 comment: